Sunday, July 5, 2009

We hold these truths to be self evident

...that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of great beer.

I rang in the anniversary of our Nation's Independence by meeting #3 (the one who doesn't pay) at 21st Amendment, a microbrewery/restaurant/bar. Yes, I know I went off on him a few posts ago, but I thought I'd give the poor boy another shot. Two things I learned:
  1. Stop blaming bad dates on first-date nerves. Chances are, it's just his personality.
  2. Watermelon-fermented beer is perhaps one of the greatest gifts our nation has bestowed upon us.

If there's one thing I enjoy about the West Coast, it's the vast array of microbreweries. I love that they're all (fairly) unique and completely unpretentious. 21st Amendment is no different. I didn't try the food, but I immediately took to the cheeky brews ("Brew Free! or die") & laid back vibe.

The Southern girl in me was immediately drawn to "Hell or High Watermelon" - a wheat beer that is infused with watermelon juice during it's second fermentation. And I didn't look back. It wasn't sweet at all, but very refreshing and just enough watermelon to remind me of summers in Texas.

The other brilliant thing about 21st Amendment is that it is only blocks away from AT&T Park, which is quickly becoming my favorite summer hangout. Hellooooo Ryan Sadowski!

Our forefathers may not have set forth upon this great land to provide us with hot baseball players and ice cold beer every July 4, but it certainly is a grand way to celebrate.

No comments:

Post a Comment